Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world. Whereas with the advent of new, borderless, virtual worlds, we the community want to see the creation of worlds where human beings and their avatars shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want.
Whereas it is essential that In the Metaverse as in the real world, human rights should be protected by the rule of law.
Whereas it is essential to promote the development of friendly relations between Metaverses.
Whereas the peoples of the Foundational World Metaverse Council reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person and in the equal rights of men and women and have determined to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom in all Metaverses.
The Foundation Members of the First World Metaverse Council proclaim this Universal Metaverse Council Declaration to form a common standard for Metaverses everywhere:
- Strive for an open, transparent, interoperable, decentralized Metaverse accessible to all.
- Build global collaboration, sharing technical advancements to improve the functionality of Metaverses everywhere
- Develop and share standards for global Metaverse adoption
- Promote teaching and education to encourage respect for Metaverse rights and freedoms and transparency to secure their universal and effective recognition and observance in all Metaverses
- Connect and merge resources, to accelerate the adoption of open, free Metaverses, promoting an open metaverse built on shared open source protocols, open infrastructure, and an open financial system
- Develop protocols to ensure that creators, innovators building them, developers building on them and players playing in them are fully rewarded for their contribution.
- Develop guidelines so that people both in the real world and in virtual worlds have rights to freedom and wellbeing and that insofar as avatars can be viewed as virtual representations or modes of presentations of real people and must be perceived as virtual purposive agents, and have moral rights and obligations similar to those of their real counterparts.
- Develop guidelines on data security, privacy, and rights and consumer protection in the Metaverse.
- Develop guidelines to mitigate physical and mental health impacts of the Metaverse.
- Develop guidelines on informed consent be possible in the Metaverse.
- Develop guidelines to protect children in the Metaverse.
- Collaborate to create an equitable, inclusive and truly decentralized Metaverse and maximize the incredible economic and social possibilities and minimize harms.
- Invite Metaverse creators, artists, innovators, thinkers, governments and to support the mission of the World Metaverse Council.
Signed on the First day of October 2022, at Lake Bled, Slovenia